Université Lille 1

Welcome to Lille 1
Exchange programmes
Information guide


Search :



1. My home university does not have an agreement with the University of Lille 1. Can I still join the exchange programme?

In theory no, but you could enrol as a free-moving student.
Contact the admission service for enrolment details

2. My home university has selected me to join a student exchange programme in Lille. Who should I contact first?

-› The professor responsible for this exchange who works with your home university.
-› If you don’t know who to contact, you can write to the International Relations Service and request an application.

3. Administrative enrolments

There is a specific procedure required for enrolment in this situation. The International Relations Service sees each student individually and enrols them with the admission service.

4. As well as participating in the exchange programme, I would like to receive the official diploma from my host institution. What must I do?

Usually, students who join an exchange programme do not receive the diploma from the host institution (except in the case of double diploma agreements).
If a student really wants to be awarded the Université Lille 1 diploma, he or she must go back to the Validations Commission and follow the normal French enrolment process like any other French student. Applications are normally examined in June or September at the latest.

5. Enrolment, choice of courses

You should know which programme you are enrolled in and have signed the study contract with your professor before arriving in Lille.
If you can’t find all the information you want on the courses offered at Université Lille 1, you should meet your Lille contact professor as soon as you arrive, who will help you choose from the courses available in accordance with your track at your home institution. You should then sign your study contract as soon as possible for validation with your home institution.

6. Transferring record transcripts

At the end of your stay, the registrar's office in Lille will compile your grades. The professor responsible for the International Relations of your section will then send your transcript to your home institution.
In some cases, incoming students prefer to get their grades after each module. A transcript of records may be filled in to this effect (European ECTS system). In case of difficulty, contact the International Relations Service.
It is often important to know a student’s ranking in relation to the rest of his or her class. The European credit transfer system (ECTS) allows this positioning to be assessed in accordance with a grading scale.

Student ranking
A (best grade)
10 %
25 %
30 %
25 %
E (bare pass)
10 %
FX   Fail, some more work required to pass
F     Fail, considerable further work required

Example: an Italian student gets a grade of 15/20 for an exam. In relation to the other students in France he or she has obtained one of the best marks. The student would therefore get an A grade in the ECTS system.
Back in Italy, the student’s professor would compare this with the other Italians and might then decide to award the student a grade more in line with the local system.
The ECTS system does not replace the local system but provides information regarding the relative quality of the student.

7. Language of instruction

The language of instruction for the majority of courses is French.
To learn French, you can join a language class in a local language school.

For more information

Download our booklet

Download the International Student Survival Guide

Download the Lille 1 campus guide


 © Philippe ROLLET - Legal informations - Credits - Site map
Website by : Agence Cominout